Yes, your home heating and/or cooling system needs a thermostat so you can control it. Of course, you want a good looking thermostat, a programmable one that is easy to use and can help you save money too. In today’s world of super connectivity, an old school thermostat that you have to touch with your fingers to control has gone out of style, and in all reality, it’s not all that useful either. This is why the WIFI thermostat was invented, also known as the smart thermostat.
These are technologically advanced, easy to use, and they can help you save money too. Today we are here to figure out what a WIFI thermostat is. How do WIFI thermostats work is the main thing which we want to figure out.
What Is A WIFI Thermostat?
Ok, so WIFI thermostats are also known as internet thermostats or smart thermostats, and yes, they are quite smart indeed. You see, regular old thermostats were simply wired directly into the wall and to your heating and cooling systems, and to control them, you had to be right at the control panel to press the buttons.
However, internet thermostats or WIFI thermostats, connect to your internet, which means that they can be accessed and controlled remotely, thus making life quite a bit easier for you.
The bottom line is that a newer WIFI thermostat is a lot more user-friendly and easier to deal with than an older model.
How Does A WIFI Thermostat Work?
The really great part about a WIFI thermostat is the fact that it connects to your internet. It connects to the IP or internet protocol the same way your laptop or smartphone does.
Now, in terms of function, yes, a WIFI thermostat does still technically work the same way as any other thermostat in the sense that it can usually be programmed to heat or cool to certain temperatures at certain times of the day, and so on and so forth, but the big difference is of course that it is connected to the internet.
Well, because a WIFI thermostat is connected to your internet, it means that you can also connect it to your smartphone or tablet using the corresponding application for the WIFI thermostat in question. In other words, now, instead of having to stand at the wall in order to program or manipulate the thermostat, you can do it from afar on your smartphone.
That is right, in essence, your smartphone just became a remote thermostat that can be used to control the heating and cooling systems in your home, which definitely comes in quite handy.
It’s great because you can use your phone to turn the heating or cooling system on or off, to monitor it, and to program it in any way you see fit.
How To Setup A WIFI Thermostat
Ok, so now you have purchased a WIFI thermostat and wish to install it. Of course, before you can connect it to the internet, you need to install it and position it first. So, this means that you need to turn off the power to the old thermostat, take the cover and faceplate off, make sure to label the wires coming out of the wall, remove the baseplate for the old thermostat, and then screw the new one into place properly.
It is probably worth reading the installation manual for your new WIFI thermostat before you begin this process. Moreover, you do also want to read the manual in order to figure out how to connect the WIFI thermostat to your internet, but generally speaking, this is quite easy to do. Let’s figure out how to connect your WIFI thermostat to the internet so you can get back to living in comfort.
- You first need to figure out how to put the WIFI thermostat into the WIFI setup mode, so you will need to read the manual to do this. When done, the thermostat should be sending out a wireless signal.
- Go to your smartphone and install the required application for the WIFI thermostat in question, you will need this in order to set it up and to connect the WIFI thermostat to the internet.
- You can now go to the available networks on your smartphone and select the network which is labeled as being your new WIFI thermostat. Keep in mind that this will connect the thermostat to your phone, but will also disconnect your phone from the internet itself.
- Now you can open up the web browser on your smartphone, and here you will be guided so you can connect the thermostat to your actual internet. You will need to select the name of your internet connection and enter the password you have set. The WIFI thermostat should now be connected to your internet. Now you can go back to your smartphone and reconnect the phone to the internet as well. Therefore, now both your phone and thermostat should be linked together, and both should be connected to the internet.
- All you have to do now is to use the WIFI thermostat’s application on your smartphone or tablet to program it as you see fit.
When all is said and done, once you have installed and set up your new WIFI thermostat, life will become much easier, plus you will end up saving money too!